Tuesday, 6 March 2007

Pisa Sightseeing

Synonymous with Pisa is the magnificent Leaning Tower, however there is far more to this western Tuscan city than just this.

From its position on the shore of the Arno, Pisa was a dominant city in the western Mediterranean from the 11th to the 13th centuries.

The sea and its powerful navy was the source of Pisa’s strength but the sea also brought with it trading links with Spain and North Africa which in turn led to cultural and scientific advances. As a result, the Pisa of today is still full of the historic monuments and buildings from this golden time, offering authentic wonders to the tourist.

No matter how you intend on exploring the city, be it by foot or by local tour bus, a good way to begin is by visiting a tourist information office. There are several throughout Pisa - outside the main railway station, not far from the Leaning Tower on Via Cammeo and throughout the centre of the city.

Situated to the northwest of the city is the Piazza dei Miracoli (Field of Miracles) within which lie four imposing yet beautiful white marble Romanesque buildings. Together the Pisa Cathedral with its Baptistery, Campanile and Campo Santo form one of the worlds most famous groups of buildings and a must see on any trip to Pisa.





The most famous of the buildings is the Campanile, more commonly known as the Leaning Tower. The construction of this magnificent bell tower began in 1173 and continued for two hundred years during which time there were significant interruptions. It is known that the tower was originally intended to be vertical, however, the tower started to incline during the protracted construction. Even without the inclination that has captured the world’s attention; the tower would still be one of Europe’s most remarkable bell towers.

Find out more about Pisa Sightseeing.

No comments: